How do you know when you are have reached Geek Heaven? Oh you will know it and it was pretty evident on sitting down to watch Supergirl Season 2 Episode 3 – it was THIS girl’s SUPER GEEKY fandoms colliding in spectacular fashion!
Before I get too excited to write – let’s go over the episode log and credits
STORY SO FAR…
Welcome To Earth – S3-E03
Supergirl and the DEO are assigned to protect the President when an attack on her causes alien vs. human rights in National City to heat up. Alex investigates the case with Maggie Sawyer while Kara fears Mon-El may be responsible.
Directed by: Rachel Talalay
Written by: Jessica Queller and Derek Simon (#203).
Ratings: 1.6/3 (Source: Cyanosis)
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Yes I am a grown woman and I’ve just squealed all over the page. The Legendary Lynda Carter was my first superhero when I was growing up (a long long long long time ago). I watched Wonder Woman and was inspired! So imagine how ecstatic I was to hear that Lynda was going to come on the show and be Madam President. Boy, did it disappoint! <g> It did not disappoint. It was one of the best hours of television I have watched.
For Wonder Woman fans (who isn’t a Wonder Woman fan? Seriously…who isn’t?) there was a couple of WW references that yes had me squealing when I saw them. One was very obvious and the other not as much because you had to get the joke (easy if you are a WW fan).
Let’s get this party started:
Kara learns that she is going to be meeting Madam President Olivia Marsden when Air Force 1 touches down. That’s exciting for us but Kara went all fangirl and it was HILARIOUS! Supergirl, the coolest chick on the planet was all flustered and wondering if she should fix her hair! Alex had a lot of fun with her sister here. It was just a joy to watch. Hank had a good giggle as well. Does Alex know her sister or what?
Things are not what they seem at the airport – Supergirl touches down and waits with the rest of the crowd but not everyone is happy to see Madam President and fireballs erupt all over the place. Supergirl then saves President Marsden with yet another cool Supergirl uses her cape to protect someone move (I should start collecting the gifs of all the times Kara does this)
— Supergirl Australia (@AusxipSupergirl) October 21, 2016
Now back to the scene of the crime, Alex is none too happy about the attack and comes across a new character that will have fans awfully happy (and from the looks of it, Alex will also be happy). We meet Maggie Sawyer. Sassy Maggie – no BS, bike riding, Alien loving lesbian detective. How do we know that Alex is smitten? Welllll – go to the video tape! (or in this case the screencap)
— alex (@Igbtdanvers) October 25, 2016
I haven’t seen a shipper name being tossed about so quick…Alex and Maggie…yep gonna happen!
and now to the moment when I literally jumped up and down in my seat and SCREAMED in delight. It pays to keep semi-spoiler free because this moment took me back to my childhood. Kara doing the Wonder Woman spin
Wonder Woman Reference #1
— Supergirl Australia (@AusxipSupergirl) October 25, 2016
and of course someone went and put Wonder Woman and Supergirl doing the same spin – don’t you just love geeky fandom? Kara’s spin is low on the ground compared to Diana’s spin. There’s an interview Melissa did for ET which she joked (and was giggly) about having Lynda teaching her how to do the WW spin.
Wonder Woman Reference #2
This was a throwaway line but it was funny. Supergirl compliments President Marsden on Air Force 1 – it’s a little odd to compliment someone on their plane but then this is Kara in full fangirl mode.
President Marsden then says “If you think that’s cool, you should see my OTHER jet”
I CRACKED UP! Yes I’m hopeless! Now that I’m an adult (no seriously I am) I still think it’s supercool to have an invisible jet!
Now back to other highlights of the show
- Maggie Sawyer – a wonderful addition to the Supergirl world and Floriana Lima is dead set PERFECT for the role!
- Lena Luthor – a shifty character and one I suspect will be a very interesting character to watch
- James finding his feet as Cat’s standin. I did like his takedown of Snapper who I wanted to smack
- Winn being cute. He didn’t fanboy all over Madam President like he did with Superman the previous week. Kara took care of that
- The Alien Bar – they have great taste in music!
- Madam President’s true nature – WOW. Did not see that coming! An alien wanting to help Aliens assimilate. I wonder if Lena’s little alien gizmo will come in hand at some point
- Mon-El was an interesting character although a little underused in this episode other than in the beginning and causing some angst
- Madam President is an ALIEN or she gets hot flashes….nah, she’s an ALIEN!
- I’m not sure the purpose of Scorcher Girl at the bar or attacking the President. Perfect way to get Supergirl to do the WW spin but what was her point?
- MADAM PRESIDENT IS AN ALIEN! Yes I know I mentioned that twice but…interesting idea
The end of the episode saw another new character emerge and one that I think J’onn is going to be very happy about. We get our first look at M’gann M’orzz / Miss Martian. J’onn is no longer alone. We will find out more about M’gann in the next episode AND Roulette shows up! It on for for young and old!
Did you enjoy Welcome To Earth?